Thursday, March 10, 2011

Geometry Says

Geometry Says:  Middle School Math Review Game


This game works in the same way that "Simon says" does.  Except you create gestures for the geometry concepts you’ve taught.   My 6th grade math students went nuts for it.   
Here are a few examples:  
“Peace sign” for an acute angle. 
“Loser sign” for a right angle.   
I’m sure you get the point.  When you say, "Geometry says, acute angle," the kids competing have to hold up a peace sign.  Its very easy to make up your own gestures.  If you have questions or something to add, shoot me an email.

Reflections:  
As someone who grew up feeling like math wasn’t for me, I was happy to see one of the girl’s teams lay the smack down on the boys (although I didn’t visibly show it).  As a Middle School Math and Science teacher I can’t help but notice the boys complete domination of the class, which never fails to sadden me.  Is this unique to Arabia?  I doubt it.

1 comment: